Fried rice now comes in many forms – along with fried eggs, chicken, prawns, minced meat and vegetables. Even so, there are several basic ingredients that make Indonesian Fried Rice superior to other variations of fried rice.
The combination of sweet soy sauce and a little shrimp paste is enough to make fried rice the best dish you have ever eaten.
Nasi Goreng Indonesia is a type of dish that is easy and suitable for dinner. Fried rice can also be a versatile dish. You can make one large frying pan of fried rice by simply mixing the rice with the meat and vegetables of your choice. In fact, Indonesian Fried Rice is indeed the right dish for dinner, when you don’t have many ingredients in the kitchen. In addition, the materials needed are also very easy to find around us, you know.
Like most Asian dishes, Nasi Goreng has a sweet and savory taste. This flavor comes from the shrimp paste or fish sauce along with the sweetness of the soy sauce. It can be made spicier by adding chili sauce and a stickier texture with thicker sweet soy sauce.
As a home-based menu in Indonesia, Nasi Goreng is usually served with a sprinkling of fried onions and prawn crackers and cucumber slices.
Tips and Tricks for Making Tasteful Indonesian Fried Rice
For a simple recipe like this, the trick that can be done to get the right taste of Indonesian Fried Rice is through the preparation of the ingredients that will be used.
- Use rice that has cooled down: Using rice that is still warm and has just finished cooking will affect the mixing and frying process of the rice. Hot rice tends to be stickier when mixed with spices. Using cold rice will make it easier to caramelize the sweet soy sauce. If you are using hot rice, it’s best to place the rice on a tray, then keep it in the refrigerator for a few hours to dry the surface of the rice.
- Use sweet soy sauce: sweet soy sauce gives Nasi Goreng a sweet and savory taste.
- Terasi: In this recipe, we will use chili sauce as a spice. However, Indonesian Fried Rice will taste better when added with shrimp paste. This one ingredient will further add to the taste of fried rice.
- Prepare the ingredients: the ingredients that have been cut, sauteed, and prepared will make the cooking process easier. Nasi Goreng Indonesia is a dish that is easy and practical to make. After you finish sautéing the meat and vegetables, the next thing to do is mix all the ingredients together until the rice starts the caramelization process and turns brown.
Nasi Goreng – Indonesian Fried Rice Recipe
Yields: 4 servings
Calories: 289 calories
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Keywords: rice, egg, chicken
- 500 gr steamed rice
- 500 gr dried chilies (soak in hot water then drain)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 50 gr chicken liver (diced and blanched)
- 50 gr chicken gizzard (diced and blanched)
- 100 gr chicken breast (cut and blanched)
- ½ cup cabbage (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup young spinach
- 3 eggs
- 50 gr of chives
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
How to Cook
- Combine dry chilies, garlic and shallots in a skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- After the hot oil, fry the chili sauce until fragrant.
- In the same skillet, add chicken breast and liver, then saute until well blended.
- In a different skillet, fry the chicken gizzards and then place it in the skillet containing the mixture of liver and chicken meat.
- Add the cabbage slices and spinach leaves, saute until wilted.
- Add rice, 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 1 tablespoon white pepper, and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Fry over high heat and mix until evenly distributed. Mix the eggs in a bowl. Add the eggs to the pan, first transferring the rice to the edge of the pan.
- Stir the eggs over high heat to make a moist, scrambled egg, mix thoroughly with the rice.
- For something different, you can also fry a thin omelette to cover the rice.